Home Forums 2019 Science Lab

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Andre Racz 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

David Rodriguez

Hi, on this thread we will try to solve any doubt about how to run the Science Lab. We plan to start doing the first global tests by the end of March, so stay tuned!

Nick
    Participant

For event planning purposes, I’d really like to know an estimation of how long this lab will take for people to get up and running. I’m considering this as the first lab of the event so people can be doing science throughout the rest of the event but need to know how much time I should allocate before getting the some learning presentations.

David Rodriguez

Hi Nick,

The lab can take around 30-45min to be completed. The idea of the lab will be:
    1. Introduction to the science lab: we will provide a few slides to set the context
    2. Deploy the lab client: currently our idea is to have two parts:
    2.1. Deploy the client on Azure Container Instances
    2.2. Deploy the client on Docker for Desktop
    3. Checking the results on the global dashboards, just for fun. (you can see an example of last Science Lab dashboards to have an idea on this link https://gablab2017.azurewebsites.net/)

I recommend to do this early in the morning, so people can start appearing on the dashboards as soon as possible. You can book a slot for this or have a separate room where people interested can go there and deploy the lab client, with the help of somebody from the local organization. Feel free to use whatever best works for you.

I also recommend a final daily recap at the end of the event showing the global dashboards, and how much the location has contributed to the science. Hey, what if somebody founds a new exoplanet candidate?

We will be sharing more info shortly, with the materials for the science lab. I will keep you posted

Swarnalata Tamanam
    Participant

What is needed to participate in testing of the Science Lab?

David Rodriguez

Hi Swarnalata, details coming early next week. Just writing the instructions now and merging the last pieces.

David Rodriguez

Hello all!

We are super excited to announce that we are ready to start testing the science lab. We have prepared this initial documentation that allows to deploy the science lab on Azure Container Instances. We will continue improving the lab client and documentation over the next weeks, but would be nice if you familiarize with the deployment and how it works.

http://bit.ly/GAB2019ScienceLab

If you are a location organizer, please check the slides that can help you on presenting the lab, available on the same GitHub repo. The slides are in pptx format (70Mb):

Global Azure Bootcamp 2019 – Science Lab slides

If you find any issue, please create an issue on the GitHub repository for easy tracking.

Swarnalata Tamanam
    Participant

Hi David,
    We were able to setup the Science Lab. The instructions were easy to follow and it ran successfully. We could see ourselves in the global dashboards. So we are ready to put it up as an option for our attendees. Thanks!!

Andre Racz
    Participant

Hi, I noticed an error in the Dashboard, on some boards (for examplo, by Attendee), the data is not being consolidated for the same name.

There are two entries with my name (Andre Racz) listed. Should they not be together?

David Rodriguez

Hi Andre,

The consolidation by Attendee is internally grouped by e-mail address instead of attendee name. The email address is the unique Id being used, so two different guys could have the same name “Andre Racz” around the world, but couldn’t have the same e-mail address.

The problem you mention is because there are two different e-mail addresses registered with your name: one with @a****.*** and another one with @g****.***). Makes sense?

Andre Racz
    Participant

Sure, my bad. I used different e-mails for the runs…

Ching-Yoong CHANG
    Participant

Hi,
    Is it possible to view the Dashboard of “Results by Attendee” with a filter Location as well?
    The idea is we would like to be able to has a dashboard view for all attendees results within each location (using the same unique location lab key).

Kind Regards,
    Ching Yoong

Andre Racz
    Participant

Ching Yoong idea is great! We would like that as well!

rfolkes
    Participant

Hi! Where do I get the location lab key?

rfolkes
    Participant

Ah – found it: in the event details in the event profile on global.azurebootcamp.net

David Rodriguez

Hi Ching,

That’s a good idea and we will add it to our backlog (today was not a good day to push new commits :)).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.