Home Forums 2019 Dns Subdomain and DNS Record

This topic contains 16 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Wesley Cabus 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Gregor Suttie
    Participant

Hi folks

I’m looking to register https://glasgowbootcamp2019.azurewebsites.net/ what do I put in

DNS – Subdomain –
    and
    DNS – Record

Thanks

Sarah Lean
    Participant

To get that URL Gregor, just create an Azure Web App called “GlasgowBootCamp2019”. Then in your GAB profile fill in the details as:

The subdomain should be “glasgowbootcamp2019”.

The record should be your CNAME record will be “azurewebappname.azurewebsites.net”

That should help the guys create the azurebootcamp.net URL for you.

Should if you need any more help. πŸ™‚

Wesley Cabus
    Keymaster

Hey Gregor, I saw that the site has been registered but is not yet functional. It might take a few moments for DNS servers to catch up, but this could also be caused by a configuration issue in Azure for your web app glasgowbootcamp2019.azurewebsites.net.

Just to be sure, have a look at our FAQ, more specifically the part about setting up a GAB subdomain with an Azure website: https://global.azurebootcamp.net/frequently-asked-questions-for-organizers/#subdomain-waws

Gregor Suttie
    Participant

Hi Wesley

Does it look ok now? not sure why Glasgow is still sitting as pending – how do I move it on from this state?

Wesley Cabus
    Keymaster

Gregor, the custom web app is not the reason why your event is still marked as Pending πŸ™‚
    We’re missing two one things:

• a registration URI for the Glasgow event: a Meetup, Eventbrite, … link where people can sign up to attend your event.
      I saw your pinned tweet however, so I’ve gone and grabbed that URL and filled it in for you.
    • Name and email for a local Microsoft representative: you’ve listed Sarah, and we know she’s an MVP, but we really like an actual Microsoft employee that’s in the same region listed here. This tells us that you have someone at Microsoft that is aware of the event in their area so that they can provide support if you need it. If you aren’t familiar with anyone in your area let us know and we can help location the right person that can help. They are only there for a resource, and while they may help you plan if you ask them to, it’s definitely your event and should be community run/planned.

Concerning the web site and the custom domain, the CNAME is configured at our end, but the Azure web app is still missing its custom domain name in Azure. That’s something that we can’t fix: you’ll need to configure a custom domain on the Azure web app, this link explains the steps you need to follow, using glasgowbootcamp2019.azurebootcamp.net as the hostname.
    Note that you can’t have your web app running on the free tier, you need at least to use the shared pricing tier to be able to use custom domains in Azure.

Sarah Lean
    Participant

Hey Wesley, I’m not an MVP. I’ve been a Microsoft FTE for a year now. 😊

Wesley Cabus
    Keymaster

Oh, congrats and mea culpa! I didn’t see an @microsoft.com email address so my assumption got the better of me πŸ˜€

Sarah Lean
    Participant

No worries, lots of people confuse me for an MVP. πŸ˜€

Gregor Suttie
    Participant

The DNS record could not be resolved. Make sure it can be resolved and try again.

So the app service url is https://glasgowbootcamp2019.azurewebsites.net

Custom Domain is glasgowbootcamp2019.azurebootcamp.net
    also got a custom domain which I originally added as glasgowbootcamp2019.azurewebsites.net

Confused.com

Wesley Cabus
    Keymaster

I recreated the CNAME record just now, can you try again?

Gregor Suttie
    Participant

The DNS record could not be resolved. Make sure it can be resolved and try again.

Wesley Cabus
    Keymaster

Hmm, I am seeing a big difference though, both domains are working and resolving here, the only issue is the SSL certificate because Azure doesn’t know about the new domain yet.
    I can also see that a lot of DNS servers are up to date already: https://www.whatsmydns.net/#CNAME/glasgowbootcamp2019.azurebootcamp.net

Most likely, the one DNS server we need is lagging behind with its updates, so best to leave this for a bit and try again tomorrow morning if you find some time.

Wesley Cabus
    Keymaster

Gregor, could you try entering the domain glasgowbootcamp2019.azurebootcamp.net again in Azure? You don’t have to edit your event on this website for that, because that might overwrite the DNS settings. I saw that the alias had been removed from our DNS records, we might have a bug in the event manager system.

Gregor Suttie
    Participant

Hi Wesley – I deleted everything and started again still seeing this error –

We failed to create the DNS subdomain of your choice. Please try again.

Wesley Cabus
    Keymaster

My apologies in the delay in answering. I’m a bit out of ideas, to be honest πŸ™‚
    I’ve verified all of the domain settings at our end and everything seems fine here.

Let’s try something else: could you try adding the custom CNAME domain glasgow.azurebootcamp.net to your Azure App Service instead?
    That one is newly created just now, and I can already find it in most DNS servers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.